|St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Thrikkothamangalam|
Mor Sharbeel Dayro and the St. Mary's church are situated side by side in the one acre land donated by Mr. Ninan Ninan of Kothakariyil family at Thrikothamangalam near Puthuppally, Kottayam. It was the Dayro that first started functioning here in 1925; Very Rev. Koottumkal Geevarghese Ramban taught Syriac and liturgy to the theological students staying here. Later Mor Dionysius Mikhayel, the Metropolitan of Kottayam & Southern dioceses resided in this Dayro for about 15 years.
On 28th January, 1932 H.H. the Patriarch of Antioch and all the East St. Ignatius Elias III visited this place and offered Holy Qurbono in the church. His Holiness ordained a few priests during his short stay in this church. In memory of the late Patriarch a beautiful 'Kurisumthotty' (shrine) has been constructed by Chirathalattu Mr. C C Kurian and family on the main road side.
Metropolitans Mor Thimotheos Yakub, Mor Gregorios Geevarghese (Perumpilly), Very Rev. C V George Corepiscopo Chirathalattu, Very Rev. Jesus Corepiscopo Chirappurathu, Very Rev. K N Abraham Kothakariyil were students of this Dayro. Very Rev. Kochuparambil Geevarghese Ramban who studied in this Dayro had served the parish for more than 15 years.
There is an old 'Kurisumthotty' (shrine) located about 1 Km west of the church donated by late Mr. Ninan of Kaduppil which is the first landmark of Thrikothamangalam. The Bethlehem Simhasana church where the mortal remains of Mor Thimotheos Yakub rests is located just 2km away from Mor Sharbeel Dayro.
Mor Sharbeel Dayro
Side View & Inside View of the St. Mary's Church, Thrikkothathamangalam
|1. Photos: 27th February 2005|
|2. Silver Jubilee Souvenir of Mar Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Dubai, 2002|